Steel Cut Oats with Kefir and Chia Seeds
Steel cut oats are less processed than rolled or instant oats. This healthy low-calorie breakfast will keep you going all morning. It’s a great way to kick start your day.
- 2 cups organic steel cut oats
- 2 cups filtered water for soaking
- 1 cup milk or nut milk
- 1 cups filtered water for cooking
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup organic chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup filtered water for 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 1 cup frozen organic berries
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup organic sultanas or currants
- Cover oats in warm filtered water. Add 1 teaspoon whey, kefir or apple cider vinegar. Soak oats overnight or up to 24hours. See post on soaking grains here
- In the morning strain and rinse well
- Bring steel cut oats to boil in milk or nut milk and water, cinnamon, cardamom and ground cloves with a pinch of salt.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered or until the water has evaporated.
- Add coconut and chia. Lets oats cool. Add flaxseed
- Layer oats on the bottom of a jar, layer kefir, mixed fruit of your choice and drizzle with molasses