Not only is KimChi tasty (assuming you like hot foods) it is also fabulous for your microbiome (gut bacteria).
- 1 Chinese Cabbage
- Himalayan, Celtic or sea salt
- 2 Organic carrots grated
- 6 spring onions chopped
- 1 Onion
- 3-4 tablespoons dried chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoons ginger chopped
- 1 head garlic (8-10 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon Banana Flour or 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- Cut cabbage into quarters and remove the stem at the bottom. Cut into 3-4 cm squares
- Lay each piece of cabbage on a tray and sprinkle with salt, layer cabbage and salt until all cabbage is covered with salt
- Let rest for 30minutes
- Make the sauce whilst the cabbage is resting
- Add onion, ginger, garlic and chilli flakes to blender and chop
- Dilute banana flour in 1/4 cup warm water and add to the paste along with the tamari and coconut sugar. Blend until the mixture resembles a paste.
- Add everything (including fermentation starter, if using) into a large bowl and combine until all have mixed well
- Pack tightly into picking jar.
- Make sure there is enough liquid to cover the cabbage. Place weight or cabbage leaf on top
- If you don't have a pickle pipe make sure to burp the jar regularly to release air
- Leave for 3-7 days
- Refrigerate for up to 6 weeks.
Nutritional Information based on 20 serves